Thursday, December 22, 2011

Geocaching 'Xtreme'..

On December 10 we had an awesome day out caching!  We explored a large part of the Portobello Peninsula.  We had an amazing day and found 11 caches.  It really was a day of fun!  It was exceptionally windy and we decided to return to attack a couple of extreme caches on a calm sunny day...
Please note - Claire avoids cameras at all cost and only gave permission for this photo to be shared as a means to demonstrate the extreme weather conditions and contributing factors to failure of completing this cache.

Much online Twitter hype later, the day arrived.  Up at 6 to make bacon and egg butties for our breakfast on Pudding Island, I was very disappointed to see the sea fog rolling in over the plains. But off I headed to the glorious sunshine, picked up Claire and off we headed down the bay...
I have to confess - I had my reservations about this "Xtreme" caching morning. It was the thought of getting out there, exploring and upping my activity that got me going. I was nervous about the height component and to be honest had far too long to dwell on this cache.  I had worked myself up before I got there. But the "Louise" in me wanted to do it. I even took out my laptop to gather time lapse photos as my wee trophy... 
To be honest though - at the end of the day - it was the online "Twitter Hype" that made me do it.... 

So off we headed to meet face on, the challenge of 'Yellow Head", which had featured on the front page of the STAR as a 'dangerous' cache!
The article did not help me in the lead up to this cache - as a teacher, the last thing I wanted was to make a call to the Harbour Master for a ride back to the mainland or alternatively, have a member of the public drive past and photograph us in action.

The cache itself is a great one but I think it needs to make mention about how quickly the tide comes in and maybe give a hint as to the rope's location. I think this outing for the pair of us was more one of information gathering and we will go back to complete this cache better equipped with knowledge of the area, tides and some useful equipment as in a pick axe to assist the climb... :) 


A true highlight of the day was the rapid rising tide!  I love that we are no match for nature!  The next highlight was truly serendipitous!  As we were leaving the area we saw two elderly ladies precariously perched on a ladder cutting back overgrown hedges!  T & L to the rescue!!!  Maybe we should try and add an element of RAK (random acts of kindness) to our caching experiences!
As the day progressed, I became more in awe of the people who lay these caches. Each of them will be inspired by life experiences, location or trickery. 

Off all the caches, what could be more appropriate for superwomen than to find a travel bug superman at the top of Harbour Cone.  He is travelling the world with this goal - 
"fly around doing good, keeping guard over caches as long as he stays in them".   He has been travelling the world since 7 February 2002!

I think of all the caches I giggled most at today was the least extreme cache - Anne and I were left sitting on a park bench enjoying the views of the Harbour and the clue was "sit and wait". After the climb up Harbour Cone and just before the adventure at the top of Genfalloch gardens - this was literally the eye of the storm. I loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on... tell us what you are thinking and share any caching insights you possibly can with us! :)